The overall aim of the Environmental Sociology Section of the Polish Sociological Association is to create a platform integrating researchers involved in research on the natural environment, from the perspective of sociology and other social sciences. Environmental sociology is a sub-discipline of sociology of considerable tradition and growing importance, as demonstrated by active sections of this profile within the International Sociological Society (ISA), the European Sociological Society (ESA) and the American Sociological Society (ASA).
The PTS Environmental Sociology Section aims to:
- create opportunities for social researchers interested in studying of the environment to present their research (research ideas, research results) to colleagues who will critically, friendly and competently engage in discussion on the research efforts undertaken;
- creating a platform for the exchange of information on planned, undertaken and ongoing research, enabling to identify knowledge gaps, carrying out complementary research and helping to avoid research duplication;
- enabling the initiation of joint research ventures;
- to create a forum for the exchange of information on research conducted by sociologists in other countries, planned issues of special journals, planned research projects, grant competitions, job vacancies for environmental sociologists, etc.
- promoting environmental sociology by organizing sessions and symposiums during sociological conferences in the country and abroad.
In particular, the activities of the Section include:
- organizing scientific meetings (lectures, seminars, colloquia, conferences), including thematic sessions and symposiums during PTS meetings and mid-term conferences, every 1-2 years. The intention is to eventually move to the level of international conferences;
- running the Section’s website (in Polish and English);
- preparation of the Section’s information bulletin once a year (reviews, reports from conferences, information on research grants, publications, doctorates, etc.);
- establishing and maintaining scientific contacts with similar scientific associations abroad.
Section Board (2020-22):
Chairman: Piotr Matczak, Institute of Sociology, Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznań
Vice-chairman: Krzysztof Niedzialkowski, Institute of Philosophy and Sociology of the Polish Academy of Sciences, Warsaw
Secretary: Joanna Tusznio, Institute of Environmental Sciences, Jagiellonian University, Cracow
Section’s website: https://socjologiasrodowiska.wordpress.com/
Profile of the section on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/socjologiasrodowiska